The Utah Valley Symphony was organized in 1959 as a non-profit organization. Its purpose was to give the talented local musicians an opportunity to use their talents and to provide the community with symphony music. It began as the Central Utah Community Orchestra and was then changed to the Utah Valley Symphony. The first orchestra had 30 members, and the first concert had an audience of eleven people, most of them relatives of the performers. In the following two years it grew to a full-sized orchestra using 75 to 80 members, depending upon the needs for a particular concert. The audience has increased to the point where two performances are required for each concert.