Alpine City

  • 20 North Main Street
  • Alpine, UT 84004
  • (801) 756-6347

Alpine is located on State Highway 92 in the extreme northeast corner of Utah Valley, five miles north of American Fork near the mouth of American Fork Canyon. It was settled in 1850 by cattle ranchers W.H. Hooper, Quincy Knowlton, and George M. Burgess. Early names for Alpine included Fort Wordsworth, Upper Dry Creek Settlement, Lone City, and Mountainville. Territorial Governor Brigham Young liked the name Mountainville, but considered Alpine more appropriate. On January 10, 1855, the settlement was officially incorporated as the City of Alpine. After remaining a quiet secret in the north part of the Valley, Alpine experienced a population boom in the 1950s. Its rich soil, plentiful streams (due to its immediate proximity to the base of the South Wasatch Range), and unbelievable vistas drew hundreds of residents to the area. By the early 1960s, the population had nearly doubled. After continued growth, Alpine now numbers nearly 7,200 residents (2000 Census). Alpine residents are historically very active in their community, passing ordinances and working hard to maintain its natural beauty while adjusting to the ever-increasing population base. Alpine is governed by a mayor and five city council members. In the tradition of other Utah Valley community festivals, Alpine celebrates Alpine Days annually in August. Other city events include: mountain bike races, 5K fun runs, a storytelling festival, Saturday family dinners, fireworks, and a PBR rodeo event. (Information courtesy Alpine City, UVEDA)