Some of the best restaurants in Utah County are those that remind you of what your grandma used to make! From classic casserole dishes to deep fried goodness, this list covers all the great food you crave--because sometimes bad is just so good! Plus, it's winter. Time to bulk up and keep warm.
The name says it all. If you're really serious about bulking up for winter, start here. Burgers, shakes, and fries make this an all-American go-to for locals throughout Utah County, but they also serve amazing shrimp po boys and Carolina pulled pork sandwiches.
- What hits the spot: beer battered fries, piled-high burgers (including the award-winning pastrami burger)
- Where it's located: 336 S Main St, Pleasant Grove, UT 84062 and 1284 N Redwood Rd, Saratoga Springs, UT 84045 and 576 N Mill Rd, Vineyard, UT 84058
After winning several competitions on Food Network, Provo was delighted when Chef Adalberto decided to open Fillings & Emulsions downtown. It's clear to see why this bakery and cafe is so popular--besides the pastries tasting incredible, they are also just so beautiful you almost don't want to eat them. But trust us, you won't regret it once you do.
- What hits the spot: Cuban meat pies, kouign amanns, macarons...all of it
- Where it's located: 326 W Center St, Provo, UT 84601
Fill up on one of the most popular and comforting foods in the world--pizza. In a classic Napoli atmosphere (checkered tablecloths and all), you can find large slices of award-winning New York pizza and enjoy it until that last piece is gone. Whatever you can't finish, take home in a box and enjoy the next day! But we won't judge you if you finish it all there.
- What hits the spot: pizza, of course (you gotta try a Fat Daddy signature pie)
- Where it's located: 1528 N Freedom Blvd, Provo, UT 84604
Families have been flocking to Molly's for years to enjoy the "best comfort food in the west." It really is one of the best places to eat in Provo. Heck, it's one of the best restaurants in Utah County! The sweetest ladies serve you made-from-scratch food in a cafeteria-style line and then you can enjoy your delicious meal.
- What hits the spot: pot roast, mashed potatoes, tomato basil pie, 24-hour smoked beef brisket
- Where it's located: 765 Columbia Ln, Provo, UT 84604
5) Bam Bams BBQ
Find some of the best meats and BBQ sauces in Utah County at Bam Bams. They have a fun and local vibe with black chalkboard walls and colorful chalk art. You'll love looking at what locals have drawn as the juices from brisket and smoked sausage drip down your chin.
- What hits the spot: the meats, mac n' cheese topped with goldfish
- Where it's located: 1708 State St, Orem, UT 84058
Located inside Thanksgiving Point, Harvest is the perfect respite after a day of activities. With a relaxing and elegant setting next to a cozy fireplace, you'll quickly warm up from the winter cold. Start with a warm and creamy soup before moving onto the entree.
- What hits the spot: meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken pot pie
- Where it's located: 3003 N Thanksgiving Way, Lehi, UT 84043
Dine with your friends and family at Communal's big table, where you can order several dishes to share. It will feel like Sunday dinners, passing plates around to get a scoop of every delicious item served. The dining experience at Communal is one of the best in Provo.
- What hits the spot: mashed potatoes, funeral potato croquette, pork belly, butterscotch pudding
- Where it's located: 102 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84601
Chinese food may not typically fall under the comfort food category, but something about fried rice and fried chicken doused in a variety of sauces is just so appetizing--and perfect for putting on the winter insulation. Temptasian serves some of the best Chinese food in Utah County, so a visit there shouldn't be passed up!
- What hits the spot: battered walnut shrimp, chow mein, cream cheese wontons
- Where it's located: 987 W 500 N, American Fork, UT 84003
Find all your favorite American classics--the ones you really grew up on--at Station 22 Cafe. The atmosphere is cool, the chef, Kasper, is imaginative and inviting, and the food is phenomenal! Grab a cold one (of soda) from their back wall to go along with your meal!
- What hits the spot: grown-up mac n' cheese (with pulled pork on top), deep fried funeral potatoes, Provo cheesesteak
- Where it's located: 22 W Center St, Provo, UT 84601
10) Maria Bonita's
At Maria Bonita's you will be served giant portions of food on the biggest plates you've probably ever had for an individual portion! Start off your meal by sharing an oversized fruity drink and then dig into your piled-high fajitas and burritos.
- What hits the spot: any of the sizzling fajitas, the giant quesadilla, the limonada
- Where it's located: 3815 167 W 800 N, Orem, UT 84057
11) Bruges Waffles & Frites
A plate (or cone) full of crispy golden fries has to be one of the most comforting sights to behold. At Bruges, they do fries right, especially when paired with one of their many dipping sauces. As the name implies, they also make Belgian waffles in a variety of creative ways.
- What hits the spot: the frites are to die for, chicken waffle, Ricky burger
- Where it's located: 42 W Center St, Provo, UT 84601
12) Tru Religion
Breakfast is always a good idea and the best place to start on your journey to keeping warm! At Tru Religion, they'll take good care of you, making sure you get your fill of comforting foods. They also take donations for their Second Chance program (all proceeds go to a local person in need), which will warm your soul, too.
- What hits the spot: cat's head biscuits, stuffed french toast, hobo breakfast
- Where it's located: 360 State St Suite 158, Orem, UT 84058
13) Foundry Grill
Add extra insulation before playing in the snow at Sundance Mountain Resort with a visit to their Foundry Grill. This restaurant serves some delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners with so much class and elegance. And don't even get us started on their Sunday brunch buffet.... If you really want to splurge, also try the Tree Room while you're up there.
- What hits the spot: wagyu chili, fried chicken, truffle mac & cheese
- Where it's located: 8841 N Alpine Loop Rd, Sundance, UT 84604
14) Black Sheep Cafe
We try to find a way to make Black Sheep fit on every food list we create because it's just that good. The Southwestern Native American cuisine really is filling and warm, but possibly the most comforting food they serve is their fried bread, whether for dessert or incorporated into your meal.
- What hits the spot: Navajo tacos, hog jowl nachos
- Where it's located: 19 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84601
Seven Brothers originally started in Hawaii before it moved to the mainland and became a Utah County restaurant (and we're so glad for that). It's a fast casual, super laid back, family-owned restaurant with outrageous burgers and uniquely shaped fries.
- What hits the spot: the Paniolo (especially the giant onion rings!) and any of their six other burgers
- Where it's located: 4801 N University Ave #220, Provo, UT 84604 (Shops at Riverwoods) and 731 N Redwood Rd Suite 100, Saratoga Springs, UT 84045
Magleby's has been a staple restaurant in Springville for years, serving folks "homestyle cooking freshly prepared to answer any craving." The food won't just remind you of Grandma's cooking--it IS grandma's cooking. The Magleby's have perfected their dishes after over 30 years of making them.
- What hits the spot: the most decadent chocolate cake you'll ever have, prime rib
- Where it's located: 198 S Main St, Springville, UT 84663 and 3362 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84604 and 135 S State St, Lindon, UT 84042
Ice cream is always a good idea (yes, even in the winter!). It's worth getting cold for and gaining a little extra padding to your waist for--especially if it comes from Rockwell. They use local vendors to create their unique, one-of-a-kind flavors, including seasonal flavors that are always changing.
- What hits the spot: honeycomb, biscoff, Rockwell road, muddy buddy
- Where it's located: 43 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84601
18) Bombay House
If Indian food is what gives you comfort, have an elevated dining experience at Bombay House--hands down one of the best places to eat in Provo. If you've never tried Indian food before, this is the place to start (and then return to frequently after discovering how tasty it is).
- What hits the spot: curries, chicken tikka masala, tandoori meals, naan
- Where it's located: 463 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84601
19) Waffle Love
What started as a crazy popular food truck, even competing on Food Network, Waffle Love now has a permanent fast food location along State Street between Provo and Orem. Their liege waffles are sweet, fluffy, and the stuff of your dreams.
- What hits the spot: croissant waffle grilled cheese, nutella love waffle
- Where it's located: 1831 N State St, Provo, UT 84604 and 80 NW State St, American Fork, UT 84003
20) Brick Oven Pizza
Maybe Brick Oven Pizza is so comforting because it's such an iconic place in Provo for families to gather, but the food sure is satisfying! Share a couple pizzas and enjoy the family-friendly atmosphere. Don't forget to add on the pasta or soup and salad bar to complete your filling meal.
- What hits the spot: all-you-can-eat pasta, heaps combo pizza, meats-a-pizza
- Where it's located: 111 E 800 N, Provo, UT 84606
If you want to branch out a little and try other foods than the comfort foods listed, check out our list of restaurants. To really discover the best of Utah Valley, such as the best Chinese food in Utah County, visit our foodie guide!