History of BYU
Statue of Brigham Young by Mahonri Young
Brigham Young University, originally named Brigham Young Academy, was established on October 16, 1875. In 1903 the school’s name was officially changed to Brigham Young University. The university is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is part of the Church Educational System. BYU’s teachings require that all secular learning at the institution be combined with teachings from the scriptures and the gospel. Cecil O. Samuelson is the current BYU President and his idea of integration of academic excellence with faith in Jesus Christ and His restored gospel enriches the school. Brigham Young University is recognized nationally and internationally as being one of the largest study abroad programs in the nation with 166 programs in 54 countries.
BYU is known for its clean and beautifully landscaped campus. There
are multiple statues that have significant historical ties with the University. Some of the statues include Brigham Young, Karl G. Maeser and the Tree of Wisdom.
Victory Bell at The Marriott Center
Almost every Tuesday at 11a.m. BYU offers a campus-wide devotional, a spiritual message where students, faculty, staff, administration, and visitors are invited to attend. On the Tuesdays that are not dedicated to devotionals, forums are held, which are open to the public. During this specified time, locations across campus are closed. The devotionals and forums are scheduled regularly during each semester, and are held in the Marriott Center for fall and winter semesters. In the spring and summer terms the location is changed to the Joseph Smith Building.